Dapper things to do while quarantined, isolated and shut-in.
These are definitely unique and difficult times we are experiencing. Fear of the unknown can be staggering and debilitating, and as our world literally changes right before our eyes, it can be difficult to remember our place in it.
We are all facing challenges. Some people have lost their jobs, while others have been called upon to put themselves in harms way to serve the community at large…and mostly all of us have been asked to stay home, missing out on enjoying nature, activities and the social interaction we love, but sometimes take for granted.
These things helped to define our who we are, and not having access to them can make one feel lost. It can cause us to lose touch with our identity. However, keep in mind that YOU ARE ESSENTIAL. You don’t have to be a 1st Responder, a Doctor or a Nurse, a truck driver or food preparer/deliver to be considered ‘valuable’. You are essential to your loved ones, the people around you and most importantly; to yourself.
In order to help maintain your identity (and reduce the feelings of having ‘Cabin Fever’), we have compiled a list of things you can do at home to provide value to yourself, your family and your loved ones.
Things you can do for yourself:
- Workout / exercise
- Resist the urge to be a complete couch potato. Staying healthy and fit is important not only to ward off sickness, but to at your best and to look & feel good inside and out. Looking for a great daily, routine to help transform you both physically and mentally? Check out Dr. Tom’s “75 Hard Challenge” journey, on the Dapper Effects Facebook page and Instagram (@dapper_effects).
- Do yoga, Pilates or simple stretch.
- Practice meditation and/or mindfulness.
- Meditation has been proven to decrease stress and calm anxiety. Taking a few minutes a day to clear one’s mind and be mindful of one’s breathing can help revitalize the spirit.
- Read a book or two, or four (we may be in this situation for while).
- Clean and/or reorganize you closet, your dresser; or that junk drawer you said you’d get to for the last 5 years
- Being organized and reducing clutter can give you piece of mind. Don’t know where to start? Try using a Dapper Effects Classic Valet Tray keep that dresser top or night stand clean and organized after a hard day…of working from home.
- Guys: Grow that awesome beard you wanting to grow, but couldn’t because of work or just because you’ve been trying to look more socially acceptable.
- The Dapper Effects Classic Formula Beard Oil is the ideal way to help grow your beard while keeping it soft and smelling good.
- Ladies: Try that new bold look or hairstyle.
- Start working on the business idea you’ve had forever by creating a vision board.
Things to do with your family/loved-ones:
- Cook a meal together.
- Clean and/or re-arrange the house together.
- Take a walk together.
- Have ‘in-door date-night’ with your partner or significant other.
- Have family game night.
- Make a family friendly video together on Facebook, YouTube or Tik-Tok.
- Watch a movie together.
- Be sure to schedule time for teach family member to have some ‘me time’.
- Call or Face-Time distant family member.
Things to do with you children:
- Teach them healthy hygiene skills.
- Read together.
- Write a letter(s) to friends and family:
- It is so important to stay in contact with loved ones during this time of self-isolation, and technology like FaceTime & Zoom makes it easy. But nothing beats the joy someone has when they open a hand written letter from a loved one. It shows a level of thoughtfulness care that is unmatched.
- Teach them how to cook.
- Show your kids how to tie a tie.
- Show them how to change a tire.
- Learn a new skill like sewing or basic car maintenance.
- Teach them how to do laundry.
- Help them learn how to use household tools and appliances.
- Do a deep clean in various areas of the house.
- Show them how to balance a check book.
- Complete a constructive project like building a model airplane or assembling/repairing a piece of furniture…or just playing with legos.
These are just some of things you can do while being sequestered at home while keeping yourself and your family safe. Try to establish routines and healthy habits to make sure you stay physically and mentally strong. At the same time, be sure to schedule time to relax, reflect and revive. A little ‘me-time’ can go a long way.
Remember, it is important to be creative when coming up with activities and things to do to avoid boredom and feeling stagnant. You are only limited by your imagination. Just make sure to be safe and make good decisions.
Lastly, keep in mind that although this is a difficult time…it is also an opportunity to work on ourselves. Now we have the time to dedicate to both making ourselves better, and strengthen our family bonds. Take care of yourselves so that you can be in the best position to take care of others…and remember, WE ARE ALL ESSENTIAL.
In addition to our usual sign off: